Friday 15 August 2014

Skincare Products, Acne & Roaccutane


I've been suffering with acne ever since I turned  the age of thirteen and it has been bothering me ever since. It started as just being very mild, few spots every now and then that I could easily treat, but as I progressed into my late teenage years, I found it was getting worse, un-manageabe and was really knocking my confidence. Anyone who suffers with severe  acne will understand how painful it can be and uncomfortable it can be if it is on the rest of your  body. I suffered with face acne, shoulder acne and back acne and it made wearing vest tops a massive no for me. All i wanted to do was cover myself up as I felt really ashamed. 


I began research into treatments that would stop my acne as I didn't want it to progress into my adult years. I went to my doctors and was proscribed many tablets that would stop the inflammation and facial gel treatments that would dry my skin out as I was prone to very oily skin. This all worked for a short amount of time and gave me back my confidence. Yet, when I would stop the treatments, my acne would flare back up again and this time even worse then it had ever been before. I tried so many acne brands such as T-Zone, Dermalogica and Vichy. Nothing seemed to be working. 

I made a my last trip then to see my Dermatologist as all hope was doomed for me after that. The only thing that was left for me try was a tablet known as Roaccutane. It was to be a 6-8 month treatment of doses going up every month that would eventually stop the secretion of my oily glands, so in other words, would dry out my skin completely. I was very nervous to try this treatment but I didn't really have any other choice as nothing was working for me and it has been the best decision in my life. I have been on the treatment for 4 months and I have already seen a massive difference in my skin and its appearance.  I began on a 20mg dose that worked up to 40mg and my skin hasn't been considerably dry. I've only notice dry lips every now and then, which can be easily solved with a good lip balm product, but other than that, it has been a complete miracle for me and life changing. I would certainly recommend it to anyone suffering from acne. 

Along side Roaccutane, I use a few products to help the healing process of my skin and keep it clean especially after wearing make-up. These products have also been life changing me as they have helped to get my skin to were it is now. 


This is what my skin is like now and although their is still some slight pigmentation, which will eventually go when the skin heals. I can already feel my confidence coming back. 


These are the products I have been using since I started Roaccutane. 

- Korres Sensitive- Oily Skin 
(This product is natural and can be used on the face and body. Contains Sage and Salcyilic Acid to kill bacteria)

- La Roche Posay Effaclar Due
(Treats pigmentation and evens skintone. Can also be used to kill bacteria that causes acne)

- Nip + Fab Deep Cleansing Balm
(breaks down make-up and dirt. Can also be used as a face mask, spot treatment and moisturiser for the evening to nourish skin)

- Palmers Night Renewal Cream
(Contains retinol that penetrates the layers of skin for extra nourishment and rejuvenates skin cells.
Perfect for scarring from acne)

- Vichy Normaderm 
(Daily moisturiser that evens skin tone, kills bacteria that causes acne and is perfect for oily skin as it is fast absorbing) 

- L'Oreal Skin Perfection 
(Minimizes pores so less dirt and make-up residue sits in the pores.)


 These are products I would also recommend if you are on Roaccutane and are suffering from severe dry skin. You will also need a high SPF cream as you skin becomes very sensitive to the sunlight while you are on Roaccutane. 

ST. TROPEZ UVA + UVB sun protection (SPF 30)
(Doesn't clog pores, high protection and gives you a bronzed, glowing look all day)

- E45 Intense Recovery Lotion
(Used for very dry skin and nourish the skin without feeling cloggy and is fast absorbing)

- Simple Derma Intense Relief Cream
(For very dry skin on the face and is fast absorbing. Doesn't clog pores as it is very light and also works if you have sensitive skin) 



I would certainly recommend this treatment if you are having severe acne as this treatment is a miracle in getting your life back to normal. And more and more people are choosing Roaccutane, even from a very early age to help combat their fight with acne. Nobody likes acne and I will never cease to understand why we have it, but its thanks to products like this that we can carry on our lives without it.

I hope this article has helped you and any questions please ask. 

No comments:

Post a Comment